All specific corrections to the thesis are complete. Adding an acknowledgement paragraph post-conclusion and then a final ispell before off to the printers. I will be checking out the printing costs on campus today. At 82 pages x5 copies = 410 pages. no colour. 3 copies for York and 2 for me (two because CUPE will reimburse me for two – and printing costs).
Track 1: convert to thesis to paper
Track 2: help w/observing proposals – (HST and ground based BAL monitoring for instance)
Talking timeline for converting thesis to paper:
Goal: 25 Feb 2011
There are multiple things to get done on this. following text from Pat:
paired quasar sightlines (mention not using full 2-D info in triples, quads)
* pairs section in intro needs moving;
currently it splits up the MgII abs discussion
* Units of A_W and G_0 must be comoving if coordinates are comoving.
* don’t need to re-explain sigma_x after the Eq. for W_b; just cite the W_a Eq.
* add Crotts, Churchill, Djorgovski? systems
* incorporate relative size weighting (see Oct. 27th thesis version)
* treat upper limits and gaussian uncertainties appropriately:
For upper limits, I think we _do_ want to use a half-Gaussian after all.
That is, a detection of mean a and sigma b should be modeled by a renormalized
Gaussian Gn(a,b), while an upper limit of EW<3b should be modeled by Gn(0,b);
i.e., a renormalized Gaussian of mean 0 and sigma b. [The renormalization is
that the area under Gn(a,b) should equal one when integrated from zero to
positive infinity, whereas the area under a true Gaussian is one only when
integrated from -\infty to +\infty. For an upper limit, the renormalization
yields a coefficient of 2 in front of a regular Gaussian centered at zero.]
* are the s_a and s_b values output (just as a check)?
* investigate terminology on wikipedia: Q-Q plot and P-P plot
* run simulations of covering fractions .65, .75, .85, .95,
and l_c=0.2 & 0.7 kpc, and redo contour plot;
* interloper galaxies (clustering): discuss and dismiss, after rereading
relevant section of TC08 (or is it CT08?)
* other TC08 parameters (2 x 900 sims; R_g; 50/50 point-point/halo-halo scatter)
* mention limitation that we don’t consider distributions of
f_c and ell_c values, nor do we consider anisotropic ell_c
* in the graph with plus signs, add plus signs at 100% covering factor, or
increase/change the marker size/type so that the markers at 100% are obvious
* redo probability contours for absorbers with z_abs only in the range
studied by TC08 (and maybe TC08 followup?)
* investigate Norbert’s idea of checking marginalization using
absorption at deflector galaxy redshifts in gravitational lenses